Did you know? College Freshmen shop in the college bookstore on a much more regular basis than upperclassmen and graduate students.
If you are not involved in Freshman Orientation, you should be! These special days are jammed packed with new students who are eager to learn all secrets that will successfully help them navigate their way through the maze that is college life.
Talk to your school administrators and let them know that your store should be a stop on the campus tour and let them know why. Once they see how beneficial a bookstore visit can be and give you the go ahead to market yourselves, prepare to shine!
Did you know? Beverages, snack foods, toiletries, cosmetics, and apparel are the product categories that the highest percentage of students report purchasing on a regular basis.
During freshman orientation, you will need to pull out all the stops to show all those eager freshmen that your bookstore is their one-stop destination for supplies!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Get excited! Emotions are contagious, even the bad ones. If you are excited to have the students visit, they will get excited and feel comfortable shopping in your store when they move onto campus.
2. Prepare a small gift bag that features some of the products that are sold in your store (travel/sample size is a more economical way to go) and pass them out to the students.
3. We got swag! Call us, we will gladly help you get some goodies to hand out (as part of a contest or just to handout)! Some of our top-selling vendor partners are more than willing to give out tee shirts, squirt guns, prizes, etc. to entice students to come into your store!
4. Even if you don’t sell anything to students on orientation days, you should highlight best selling products. Feature products like school apparel, laptops, headphones, or other accessories.
5. Focus on the parents! They are the biggest influences on college freshmen. If the parents feel comfortable shopping in your store, they will pass that knowledge onto their children. Feature school apparel that a parent can and would want to buy and wear themselves.
So, there you have it. A few tips to help you have a successful BTS season this year. I hope this post has left you feeling a little inspired and enthusiastic.
If you have any questions, you can always contact me. As always, I am here to help you in any way that I can!
A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiasm.
my direct email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org